Jump to Navigation

Montgomery Child Support Modification Attorneys

Modifying Child Support and Alimony Payments After Divorce

When child support, alimony, and custody arrangements are determined, they are based on the parties' current situation. Over time, your situation may change — you may lose your job, move or have another substantial change of circumstances. If this happens, it is important to contact an attorney as quickly as possible to protect your rights.

At Blanchard Law Offices, we have over 30 years of experience working with clients throughout Montgomery, Alabama, in family law matters. We represent clients in the modification and enforcement of court orders and decrees. Contact our firm online or call 334-328-3422 to schedule your appointment with an experienced family law attorney.

Understanding the Alabama Parent-Child Relationship Protection Act

The Alabama Parent-Child Relationship Act — also called the Relocation Act — protects the relationship parents have with their child if the other parent moves. The court is required to enter orders regarding what happens if a parent relocates after or during a divorce. The law is intended to protect the parent who is not moving by offering them certain remedies. If the parent is moving more than 60 miles away and wants to take the child, the non-moving parent can object. We have experience working with clients to create parenting plan modifications if one parent moves away.

Post-Decree Modification of Support

Job loss is a common reason to modify child support or alimony payments. If you lost your job, it is in your best interest to contact a lawyer immediately. Child and spousal support payments cannot that are not paid when due become fixed judgments by operation of law, so ignoring the problem can result in accruing large arrearages, subject to drastically increase over time due to the application of statutory interest on judgments, which is 12% per year in Alabama. Do not lose your rights and money by delaying. A properly and timely filed petition to modify or stop payments can avoid a lot of financial damage that would almost certainly otherwise occur.

On the other side of the coin, it is often appropriate for the receiving party to file a petition to increase alimony or child support when he or she loses a job, or when the paying party's income substantially increases over time.

Learn more about the representation we offer by contacting us online or by calling 334-328-3422.

Practice Areas
Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Call or Fill Out Our Contact Form

Blanchard Law Offices
505 South Perry Street
Montgomery, AL 36104

Phone: 334-328-3422 • Toll Free: 888-341-6146
Fax: 334-263-4766
Montgomery Law Office Map